- GENERAL NEWS
Birthday party held for twin panda cubs at Ueno Zoo
14:47 JST, June 20, 2022
A birthday party was held Monday at Ueno Zoo in Tokyo for twin giant panda cubs born there last June.
Fourteen families selected by lottery were invited to the party, where they wrote messages on birthday cards to the twins — Xiao Xiao, a male, and Lei Lei, a female — and watched them play at a facility called the Panda no Mori (pandas’ forest).
Born on June 23 last year, they now weigh 27 kilograms each, up from 100 grams at birth. The cubs still cling to their mother, Shin Shin, but have also started playing with each other and sleeping in the trees on their own.
To meet the twins, visitors must enter a lottery on the park’s website.
The park’s spokesperson said: “We’re happy that they will reach their first birthday without incident. We want visitors to enjoy watching the twin pandas grow bigger by the day.”
"SOCIETY" POPULAR ARTICLE
AI-generated Child Porn Floods Japan-based Website (Update 1)
Bears Sighted in Tokyo Suburbs, Including near Mt. Takao (Update 1)
Tokyo Dips below 10 C; Temperatures Fall in Japan
Junko Ohashi, singer of ‘Silhouette Romance,’ dies at 73
X Japan Bassist Heath Dies at 55; Yoshiki Thought to Have Returned to Japan for Him
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Japan, Vietnam Trade Ministers Discuss Supply Chains, IPEF
- BOJ Ueda: Japan Increasingly Likely to Hit Inflation Target
- Stimulus Package Set to Drive Greater Govt Borrowing; Likely Effectiveness Called into Question
- Food, Beverage Price Hikes Show Signs of Easing; Fuel Prices, Consumer Frugality Slowing Down Price Rises
- Japan 2023 Food Exports Reach 1 Tril. Yen at Record Pace