- GENERAL NEWS
Iyama extends Honinbo Go title winning streak to record 11
13:03 JST, June 14, 2022
Yuta Iyama won the Honinbo Go tournament for a record 11th straight time, defeating Ryo Ichiriki 4-0 in the best-of-seven championship round held in Dazaifu, Fukuoka Prefecture, on Saturday and Sunday.
The tournament is one of the seven major tournaments for the game of Go. By sweeping the first four games at the final, the 33-year-old Iyama surpassed the previous record of 10 straight titles held by Cho Chi-Hun. Cho, 65, won the tournament every year from 1989 to 1998.
Iyama also holds three other Go titles — Meijin, Oza and Gosei.
“I still cannot believe it,” Iyama said after sealing the victory. “It’s too good to be true. I watched master Cho’s achievement as a Go fan, but never thought I’d be able to challenge the record. It’s a great honor.”
"SOCIETY" POPULAR ARTICLE
AI-generated Child Porn Floods Japan-based Website (Update 1)
Bears Sighted in Tokyo Suburbs, Including near Mt. Takao (Update 1)
Tokyo Dips below 10 C; Temperatures Fall in Japan
Junko Ohashi, singer of ‘Silhouette Romance,’ dies at 73
Tsunami observed in Japanese coast after the earthquake near Philippines (UPDATE2)
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Exports of Nishikigoi Carp to China Halted; Permits for Japanese Aquaculture Facilities By China Have Expired
- Japan April-Sept. Current Account Surplus Hits Record High
- AI-generated Child Porn Floods Japan-based Website (Update 1)
- BOJ Member Sought Tweak in Easing
- Japan’s Economy Contracts as Demand Wanes