- GENERAL NEWS
Power-saving sought amid fears of crunch
15:21 JST, June 8, 2022
TOKYO (Jiji Press) — The government decided Tuesday to call on households and businesses around the country to cooperate to conserve electricity amid concerns over a potential power crunch in the summer.
The decision was made at a meeting of relevant ministers for discussions on measures to avoid possible blackouts this summer. It is the first time since fiscal 2015 for the government to issue a nationwide request to save electricity.
Meanwhile, the government decided to forgo setting a uniform numerical target for power conservation.
The move comes amid fears of large-scale power outages occurring if the supply-demand balance for electricity deteriorates.
“The power supply-demand balance in summer and winter will be tight,” Chief Cabinet Secretary Hirokazu Matsuno said at the meeting. “We will create a system to put power conservation measures into place in cooperation with the industrial world and local governments,” the top government spokesman said.
"SOCIETY" POPULAR ARTICLE
AI-generated Child Porn Floods Japan-based Website (Update 1)
Bears Sighted in Tokyo Suburbs, Including near Mt. Takao (Update 1)
Tokyo Dips below 10 C; Temperatures Fall in Japan
Junko Ohashi, singer of ‘Silhouette Romance,’ dies at 73
X Japan Bassist Heath Dies at 55; Yoshiki Thought to Have Returned to Japan for Him
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Exports of Nishikigoi Carp to China Halted; Permits for Japanese Aquaculture Facilities By China Have Expired
- Japan April-Sept. Current Account Surplus Hits Record High
- Japan 2023 Food Exports Reach 1 Tril. Yen at Record Pace
- 69.7 Bil. Yen in COVID-19 Loans to Small Businesses Uncollectible
- AI-generated Child Porn Floods Japan-based Website (Update 1)