- GENERAL NEWS
China likely conducting marine survey in Japan’s EEZ
14:23 JST, June 5, 2022
NAHA (Jiji Press) — The Chinese ship Dong Fang Hong 3 is conducting what appears to be a marine survey in Japan’s exclusive economic zone off Okinawa Prefecture’s Ishigaki Island, the Japan Coast Guard said Saturday.
The coast guard confirmed that the Chinese marine survey ship dropped into the sea what appeared to be observation equipment at a point 73 kilometers north of the island around 12:05 p.m.
The Foreign Ministry protested to the Chinese government through diplomatic channels, saying that it is extremely regrettable if China conducted a marine survey without the consent of Japan.
According to the 11th Regional Coast Guard Headquarters, based in Naha, what appeared to be a wire was hanging down into the sea from a crane on the deck of the Dong Fang Hong 3.
A coast guard vessel warned the Chinese ship to stop the activity, but there has been no reply, according to the headquarters. The activity seems to be going on.
In March, a different Chinese ship conducted what appeared to be a marine survey in Japan’s EEZ off Okinawa’s Kume Island.
"SOCIETY" POPULAR ARTICLE
AI-generated Child Porn Floods Japan-based Website (Update 1)
Bears Sighted in Tokyo Suburbs, Including near Mt. Takao (Update 1)
Tokyo Dips below 10 C; Temperatures Fall in Japan
Junko Ohashi, singer of ‘Silhouette Romance,’ dies at 73
X Japan Bassist Heath Dies at 55; Yoshiki Thought to Have Returned to Japan for Him
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Japan, Vietnam Trade Ministers Discuss Supply Chains, IPEF
- BOJ Ueda: Japan Increasingly Likely to Hit Inflation Target
- Stimulus Package Set to Drive Greater Govt Borrowing; Likely Effectiveness Called into Question
- Food, Beverage Price Hikes Show Signs of Easing; Fuel Prices, Consumer Frugality Slowing Down Price Rises
- Japan 2023 Food Exports Reach 1 Tril. Yen at Record Pace