Wines submerged for aging in Japan bay
13:31 JST, December 19, 2021
MIURA, Kanagawa — Wine bottles are being submerged in Koajiro Bay in Miura, Kanagawa Prefecture, in a project to age them under the sea.
According to the Koajiro tourism promotion and revitalization council, which consists of local fishery operators and members of the tourism sector, the slight vibrations caused by tidal currents and the water temperature of 12 C to 14 C at about 10 meters deep are suitable for maturing wine with an elegant aroma and a smooth taste.
Work to lower about 1,700 bottles to the seabed will continue through the end of this month. The bottles are scheduled to be retrieved in June next year.
“We want to develop this project as a second income source for local fishery operators, and to promote Koajiro as a wine town,” said Hiroshi Deguchi, 59, a board member of the council who is involved in the project.
"SOCIETY" POPULAR ARTICLE
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Japan, Finland confirm unity in dealing with Russia
- Mangaka Fujiko Fujio A dies at 88
- China’s aircraft carrier drills near Japan aimed at around-the-clock attack capability
- As wheat prices soar, Japanese food industry pushes rice flour as alternative
- Fukushima lab releases images of ‘highly likely’ UFOs