- GENERAL NEWS
Snowfall across Japan creates problems in some areas, picturesque scenes in others
16:50 JST, December 18, 2021
Japan experienced severe cold weather on Saturday as a result of atmospheric pressure patterns that are typical this time of year. Heavy snow mainly fell in mountainous areas and along the coast of the Sea of Japan.
Western Hokkaido saw record-breaking snowfall through Saturday. In 24 hours, Chuo Ward, Sapporo, recorded 55 centimeters while Otaru recorded 53 centimeters, according to the Sapporo District Meteorological Observatory. It was the most snowfall seen in those areas since records started being kept in 1999.
Meanwhile, in Minakami, Gunma Prefecture, about 160 trucks and other vehicles were stranded in the snow on the national highway for about four hours on early Saturday morning, according to the Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism Ministry. However, there were no reports of anyone feeling ill.
The famous Kinkakuji temple, a World Heritage site in Kyoto, was also blanketed in a light layer of snow.
"SOCIETY" POPULAR ARTICLE
AI-generated Child Porn Floods Japan-based Website (Update 1)
Bears Sighted in Tokyo Suburbs, Including near Mt. Takao (Update 1)
Tokyo Dips below 10 C; Temperatures Fall in Japan
Junko Ohashi, singer of ‘Silhouette Romance,’ dies at 73
X Japan Bassist Heath Dies at 55; Yoshiki Thought to Have Returned to Japan for Him
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Exports of Nishikigoi Carp to China Halted; Permits for Japanese Aquaculture Facilities By China Have Expired
- Japan April-Sept. Current Account Surplus Hits Record High
- Food, Beverage Price Hikes Show Signs of Easing; Fuel Prices, Consumer Frugality Slowing Down Price Rises
- Japan 2023 Food Exports Reach 1 Tril. Yen at Record Pace
- 69.7 Bil. Yen in COVID-19 Loans to Small Businesses Uncollectible