- GENERAL NEWS
Baseball icon Nagashima receives Order of Culture from Emperor
November 4, 2021
Shigeo Nagashima, the lifetime honorary manager of the Yomiuri Giants, was among those who received the Order of Culture from the Emperor at the Imperial Palace on Wednesday, at a ceremony attended by six of this year’s honorees.
All the attendees wore face masks to prevent infection with the novel coronavirus.
“I find it truly gratifying that you devoted your efforts for many years and contributed to cultural progress,” the Emperor said in a speech to the recipients.
This year’s nine awardees also include kabuki actor Onoe Kikugoro, 79. Two recipients were absent from the ceremony, including climatologist and meteorologist Syukuro Manabe, who won the Nobel Prize in Physics this year.
Ballet dancer, teacher and choreographer Asami Maki was also chosen for the Order of Culture this year, but she died on Oct. 20 at the age of 87. The date she received the order was posthumously moved back to that day.
"SOCIETY" POPULAR ARTICLE
AI-generated Child Porn Floods Japan-based Website (Update 1)
Bears Sighted in Tokyo Suburbs, Including near Mt. Takao (Update 1)
Tokyo Dips below 10 C; Temperatures Fall in Japan
Junko Ohashi, singer of ‘Silhouette Romance,’ dies at 73
X Japan Bassist Heath Dies at 55; Yoshiki Thought to Have Returned to Japan for Him
JN ACCESS RANKING
- BOJ Ueda: Japan Increasingly Likely to Hit Inflation Target
- Japan April-Sept. Current Account Surplus Hits Record High
- Food, Beverage Price Hikes Show Signs of Easing; Fuel Prices, Consumer Frugality Slowing Down Price Rises
- Japan 2023 Food Exports Reach 1 Tril. Yen at Record Pace
- 69.7 Bil. Yen in COVID-19 Loans to Small Businesses Uncollectible