- GENERAL NEWS
Nagaoka fireworks return for 1st time since 2019
12:50 JST, August 3, 2022
The Nagaoka Fireworks Festival, touted as one of the country’s three major firework displays, lit up the night sky Tuesday in Nagaoka, Niigata Prefecture, delighting spectators with the blossoming of enormous pyrotechnic flowers.
The event was held for the first time since 2019, after being canceled for two years in a row due to the novel coronaivrus pandemic. The show included a fireworks combo named “Phoenix,” set off across an area about two kilometers wide, in a prayer for reconstruction from the Niigata Prefecture Chuetsu Earthquake that struck the area in 2004.
As measures against the virus, the organizers charged fees for all spectator seats and asked everyone to express their amazement by clapping instead of shouting to prevent the spread of airborne droplets. “The larger the amazement, the smaller the voices” was a watchword for the two-night event, which was to continue on Wednesday.
Click here to watch the video
"SOCIETY" POPULAR ARTICLE
AI-generated Child Porn Floods Japan-based Website (Update 1)
Bears Sighted in Tokyo Suburbs, Including near Mt. Takao (Update 1)
Tokyo Dips below 10 C; Temperatures Fall in Japan
Junko Ohashi, singer of ‘Silhouette Romance,’ dies at 73
X Japan Bassist Heath Dies at 55; Yoshiki Thought to Have Returned to Japan for Him
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Exports of Nishikigoi Carp to China Halted; Permits for Japanese Aquaculture Facilities By China Have Expired
- Japan April-Sept. Current Account Surplus Hits Record High
- Food, Beverage Price Hikes Show Signs of Easing; Fuel Prices, Consumer Frugality Slowing Down Price Rises
- Japan 2023 Food Exports Reach 1 Tril. Yen at Record Pace
- 69.7 Bil. Yen in COVID-19 Loans to Small Businesses Uncollectible