Pro-amendment forces keep 2/3 majority
23:54 JST, July 10, 2022
Forces positive toward constitutional revision secured 82 seats in the House of Councillors election on Sunday, including members of the ruling Liberal Democratic Party, its coalition partner Komeito, Nippon Ishin no Kai (Japan Innovation Party) and the Democratic Party for the People.
Combining this with the 84 seats held by lawmakers in favor of constitutional revision that were not contested this time, the pro-revision parties maintained the two-thirds majority, or 166 upper house seats, required to initiate constitutional amendment in the Diet.
"POLITICS" POPULAR ARTICLE
Japan, U.S., S. Korea to Start Real-Time Missile Info Sharing
Japan to Provide Defense Equipment to Philippines; Patrol Boats, Radars, Drones Have Deterrence Against China in Mind
Fake Video of Japan Prime Minister Kishida Triggers Fears of AI Being Used to Spread Misinformation
Taiwan’s Semiconductor Giants Build Overseas Amid Global Demand, Local Labor Shortage
Govt Issues Emergency Warning Following N. Korea’s Missile Launch (Update 1)
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Japan, Vietnam Trade Ministers Discuss Supply Chains, IPEF
- BOJ Ueda: Japan Increasingly Likely to Hit Inflation Target
- Stimulus Package Set to Drive Greater Govt Borrowing; Likely Effectiveness Called into Question
- Food, Beverage Price Hikes Show Signs of Easing; Fuel Prices, Consumer Frugality Slowing Down Price Rises
- AI-generated Child Porn Floods Japan-based Website (Update 1)