Incumbent Hanazumi certain to win Niigata gubernatorial election
21:42 JST, May 29, 2022
Incumbent Hideyo Hanazumi is certain to win the Niigata gubernatorial election on Sunday.
Hanazumi, 64, is an independent candidate but is supported by the Liberal Democratic Party and the Democratic Party for the People.
The election was between Hanazumi and newcomer Naomi Katagiri, 72, chairperson of a group calling for the end of nuclear power generation. She is backed by the Japanese Communist Party, the Reiwa Shinsengumi party and the Social Democratic Party. The two candidates debated such issues as the restart of the Kashiwazaki-Kariwa nuclear power plant and the evaluation of the current prefectural administration.
"POLITICS" POPULAR ARTICLE
Defense minister to China: Concerns exist between Japan and China
Japan scrambled aircraft 4.5 times more this May than last
Japan’s de facto aircraft carrier Izumo to be dispatched to Indo-Pacific from mid-June
20,000 digital advisers eyed to support silver surfers
U.S. ambassador sees Japan-U.S. alliance shifting to a larger domain
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Japan, Finland confirm unity in dealing with Russia
- Mangaka Fujiko Fujio A dies at 88
- China’s aircraft carrier drills near Japan aimed at around-the-clock attack capability
- Fukushima lab releases images of ‘highly likely’ UFOs
- As wheat prices soar, Japanese food industry pushes rice flour as alternative