Japan likely to hold upper house election on July 10
17:26 JST, March 14, 2022
TOKYO (Jiji Press) — The official campaign period for this year’s election for the House of Councillors is expected to start on June 22, ruling party executive Toshimitsu Motegi said Sunday.
If the campaign period begins on June 22, voting is likely to take place on July 10.
“The June 22 start of the campaign period is 100 days away,” Motegi, secretary general of the Liberal Democratic Party, said at an annual party convention.
“This year’s convention is a rally to win the coming upper house election and have a stable government,” Motegi said.
Government and ruling coalition officials have no plans to extend the current parliamentary session, set to end on June 15.
"POLITICS" POPULAR ARTICLE
Defense minister to China: Concerns exist between Japan and China
Japan scrambled aircraft 4.5 times more this May than last
Japan to promise developing nations tens of billions of yen in food aid at G7 summit
U.S. ambassador sees Japan-U.S. alliance shifting to a larger domain
U.S. mediation aids trilateral ties with Japan, South Korea
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Fukushima lab releases images of ‘highly likely’ UFOs
- Ajiichi Hojo / Modern flavors in a history-steeped building
- Japan-sponsored bridge opens in South Sudan, raising hopes for peace and development
- Defense minister to China: Concerns exist between Japan and China
- Japan scrambled aircraft 4.5 times more this May than last