Govt asks Ukrainian Embassy not to seek military volunteers
16:15 JST, March 3, 2022
TOKYO (Jiji Press) — The government wants the Ukrainian Embassy in Tokyo to refrain from recruiting Japanese nationals as military volunteers to fight against the Russian military.
The government has explained to the embassy that “an evacuation advisory has been issued” for Japanese nationals across Ukraine, Chief Cabinet Secretary Hirokazu Matsuno said Wednesday.
“We don’t want people [in Japan] to travel to Ukraine for any purpose,” Matsuno told a news conference.
Foreign Minister Yoshimasa Hayashi made similar remarks Tuesday.
The Ukrainian Embassy has said in a Twitter post in Japanese that it is recruiting people with professional training experience including at the Self-Defense Forces.
"NEWS SERVICES" POPULAR ARTICLE
Russia summons heads of U.S. media outlets, warns of ‘stringent measures’
Ukraine’s volunteer ‘Kraken’ unit takes the fight to the Russians
Leaders pledge arms and EU path for Ukraine in Kyiv visit
China secretly building PLA naval facility in Cambodia, Western officials say
Russian missile strike hits crowded shopping mall in Ukraine
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Japan, Finland confirm unity in dealing with Russia
- Mangaka Fujiko Fujio A dies at 88
- China’s aircraft carrier drills near Japan aimed at around-the-clock attack capability
- As wheat prices soar, Japanese food industry pushes rice flour as alternative
- Fukushima lab releases images of ‘highly likely’ UFOs