- Travel Spots
Village Made of Snow, Ice on Lake Shikaribetsu in Hokkaido Offers Experience of Frozen World
20:52 JST, February 11, 2024
An event called Shikaribetsuko Kotan is underway in Shikaoi, Hokkaido, featuring a frigid village made of snow and ice buildings resting on frozen Lake Shikaribetsu. Visitors are enjoying the intense cold of the icy world.
The event, which has been held since 1980, takes the name Kotan, meaning village, from the Ainu language.
On offer are six igloos — huts made of stacked snow and ice blocks — and an open-air hot spring and footbath on the ice.
“The hot water really relieves the piercing cold,” said a 19-year-old university student from Kita Ward, Kyoto.
The event is scheduled to continue through March 10.
"Features" POPULAR ARTICLE
Fukuoka Castle to Come to Life Lit Up in 7 Different Colors
Shibuya Cafe Continues to Offer Experience of Listening to Masterpieces; Near 100-Year-old Cafe Maintains Traditional Atmosphere of Years Gone By
Kawazu-zakura Cherry Blossom Trees Adorn Riverbanks in Shizuoka Town; Blossoms Bloomed 5 Days Earlier than Last Year in Japan
Flames Spread over Mt. Wakakusa in Nara During Festival to Pray for Ancestors’ Souls and Peaceful Life; Viewers Gaze at Red Sky and Moon Above Kofukuji Temple
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Japan Business Delegation, Chinese Premier Li Meet; Both Sides Tout Importance of Bilateral Economic Ties
- Japan Eyes 45 B. Yen in Aid for Optical Semiconductors
- Japan’s Job Availability Ratio Rises for 2nd Straight Year
- Business, Labor Leaders Reaffirm Vow to Raise Wages in Shunto Talks
- North Korean Workers in China Riot over Unpaid Wages; 2,000 Occupy Factory, Kill Plant Manager