- Travel Spots
Hokkaido: Sightseeing Icebreaker ‘Aurora’ Begins Operation: Cruise to Run Through March
14:42 JST, January 21, 2024
The drift ice sightseeing icebreaker Aurora began operating in Abashiri, Hokkaido, on Saturday. The Abashiri Local Meteorological Office observed drift ice on Friday, and it was the first time in nine years that the sightseeing ship toured the sea of drift ice on its first day of operation.
Four cruises were made on the day, with a total of about 600 people including tourists, boarding the ship. The fourth cruise departed from Abashiri Port at 3 p.m. and arrived at the drift ice zone about 2 kilometers offshore in about 10 minutes, where passengers enjoyed the spectacular view and took photos with their smartphones and cameras.
A 22-year-old female university student from Toyonaka, Osaka Prefecture, said, “I was speechless as I’ve never seen such a view.” The cruise will run through March 31.
"Features" POPULAR ARTICLE
Fukuoka Castle to Come to Life Lit Up in 7 Different Colors
Shibuya Cafe Continues to Offer Experience of Listening to Masterpieces; Near 100-Year-old Cafe Maintains Traditional Atmosphere of Years Gone By
Flames Spread over Mt. Wakakusa in Nara During Festival to Pray for Ancestors’ Souls and Peaceful Life; Viewers Gaze at Red Sky and Moon Above Kofukuji Temple
Kawazu-zakura Cherry Blossom Trees Adorn Riverbanks in Shizuoka Town; Blossoms Bloomed 5 Days Earlier than Last Year in Japan
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Japan Business Delegation, Chinese Premier Li Meet; Both Sides Tout Importance of Bilateral Economic Ties
- Japan Logs Trade Deficit of ¥9.29 Tril. in 2023
- Japan Business Delegation in Beijing for 1st Time in 4 Years; Participants Scheduled to Meet with Premier Li Qiang
- Japan Eyes 45 B. Yen in Aid for Optical Semiconductors
- Japan’s Job Availability Ratio Rises for 2nd Straight Year