- TRAVEL SPOTS
Lantern festival in Matsue delights locals, tourists
14:00 JST, October 8, 2023
MATSUE — The Matsue Suitouro lantern festival has begun, with illuminations delighting visitors in and around Matsue Castle in Matsue, Shimane Prefecture.
According to the Matsue Travel Association, the city’s popular autumnal event this year features about 1,000 lights, including lanterns handmade by residents. Reminiscent of the Aomori Nebuta Festival, an illuminated float of a popular local dog is installed in the Shiominawate district, where there are traditional former houses of samurai.
The event continues on weekends until Oct. 15. The light-up time is from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. There are food stalls for visitors, and Horikawa yuransen pleasure boats for tourists operate in evenings during the festival.
“I hope people will enjoy Matsue’s serene lights,” an official of the association said.
"FEATURES" POPULAR ARTICLE
Autumn in Full Swing in Kyoto
Millennium-Old Traditional ‘Naked Festival’ to Be Held for Last Time Next February at Iwate Pref. Temple
Old Tokyo Building Becomes a Hub for Various Regions in Japan
Onigiri Rice Balls Increasingly Popular Worldwide due to Taste, Healthfulness
New Tour in Japan Featuring Kumano Kodo, Hot Springs Targets Foreign Tourists
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Japan’s Economy Contracts as Demand Wanes
- Sardines and Mackerels Blanket Beach in Hokkaido; Local Fishermen ‘Never Seen This Many’
- Tsunami observed in Japanese coast after the earthquake near Philippines (UPDATE2)
- Autumn in Full Swing in Kyoto
- Japan Railway Operators Eye Net-zero CO2 Emissions Via Hydrogen Fuel Cell Trains