- TRAVEL SPOTS
Yamaguchi: Natural Air Conditioner Keeps Hikers Cool
16:30 JST, August 19, 2023
HAGI, Yamaguchi — As Japan continues to experience a brutal summer, hikers can enjoy the cool air that blows through gaps in the rocks on Mt. Kasayama in Hagi, Yamaguchi Prefecture.
The cool breeze can be felt at a spot called Kazaana, meaning wind hole, on the mountain, which is a small volcano with an elevation of 112 meters.
In the winter, cold air is sucked into the numerous cavities created by the outflow of lava. In the summer, air that is around 13 C blows out of the gaps.
The temperature around Kazaana is generally below 20 C, even during the day. Some hikers were seen getting close to the mossy rocks and fanning the cool air toward themselves to fight off the heat.
"FEATURES" POPULAR ARTICLE
Kyoto Train Offers Passengers Journey Wrapped in Autumn Colors via Maple Tree Tunnel
Autumn in Full Swing in Kyoto
Korea Craze in Japan Unlikely to End Anytime Soon; Shin-Okubo is a Hub of Korean Pop Culture, Food
Kintetsu Dept Store, Fujiya Open New Pekolicious Sweets Shop in Osaka
Nagasaki: Mom, Young Daughter Help Keep Mask-changing Chinese Art Alive
JN ACCESS RANKING
- BOJ Ueda: Japan Increasingly Likely to Hit Inflation Target
- Japan April-Sept. Current Account Surplus Hits Record High
- Food, Beverage Price Hikes Show Signs of Easing; Fuel Prices, Consumer Frugality Slowing Down Price Rises
- Japan 2023 Food Exports Reach 1 Tril. Yen at Record Pace
- Exports of Nishikigoi Carp to China Halted; Permits for Japanese Aquaculture Facilities By China Have Expired