- TRAVEL SPOTS
Fukui: Eco-friendly Pleasure Boat Sets Sail Quietly on Scenic Lakes
11:13 JST, July 15, 2023
MIHAMA, Fukui — An environmentally friendly battery-propelled sightseeing boat recently began operating on lakes in Mihama, Fukui Prefecture.
Passengers board at Mihama Lake Center in the town for a 50-minute tour of about 9 kilometers around Lake Kugushi and Lake Suigetsu.
The boat was developed by the town of Mihama in cooperation with Tokyo University of Marine Science and Technology. It has been in operation since April as a highlight of the tourist season.
The 18-meter-long, 4-meter-wide pleasure boat is powered by lithium-ion batteries that store electricity generated by solar panels installed on the boat. The boat is driven by a propeller.
There are no carbon emissions and virtually no noise or vibration because the boat is electric. Passengers can quietly enjoy the reflection of the mountains on the water and watch herons resting their wings.
The boat runs from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m, with five tours a day. There are no tours on Wednesdays and New Year’s holidays. The fare is ¥1,980 for adults, ¥990 for elementary school students and free for preschool children.
"FEATURES" POPULAR ARTICLE
Autumn in Full Swing in Kyoto
Korea Craze in Japan Unlikely to End Anytime Soon; Shin-Okubo is a Hub of Korean Pop Culture, Food
Kintetsu Dept Store, Fujiya Open New Pekolicious Sweets Shop in Osaka
Nagasaki: Mom, Young Daughter Help Keep Mask-changing Chinese Art Alive
Illuminations Brighten Up Events, Buildings and Roadside Trees in Central Tokyo
JN ACCESS RANKING
- BOJ Ueda: Japan Increasingly Likely to Hit Inflation Target
- Exports of Nishikigoi Carp to China Halted; Permits for Japanese Aquaculture Facilities By China Have Expired
- Japan April-Sept. Current Account Surplus Hits Record High
- Food, Beverage Price Hikes Show Signs of Easing; Fuel Prices, Consumer Frugality Slowing Down Price Rises
- Japan 2023 Food Exports Reach 1 Tril. Yen at Record Pace