- TRAVEL SPOTS
Shining Hikarimo Algae at its Best in Tokyo
14:32 JST, May 10, 2023
Golden-red hikarimo, a type of algae, is at its best at Saneatsu Park in Chofu, Tokyo, and will be visible through around October.
According to the Mushakoji Saneatsu Kinenkan memorial museum adjacent to the park, hikarimo is about 0.01 millimeter in size and often grows naturally in puddles in caves. Some hikarimo glows in gold when reflected in light.
In the park, the algae grows in the remains of a canal surrounded by stone, and it is about 40 centimeters long and 40 centimeters wide.
Admission to the park is free. The park is open from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and closed on Mondays. Weather conditions such as rain and strong wind can make it difficult to see the algae.
"FEATURES" POPULAR ARTICLE
Kyoto Train Offers Passengers Journey Wrapped in Autumn Colors via Maple Tree Tunnel
Korea Craze in Japan Unlikely to End Anytime Soon; Shin-Okubo is a Hub of Korean Pop Culture, Food
Kintetsu Dept Store, Fujiya Open New Pekolicious Sweets Shop in Osaka
Nagasaki: Mom, Young Daughter Help Keep Mask-changing Chinese Art Alive
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Japan, Vietnam Trade Ministers Discuss Supply Chains, IPEF
- BOJ Ueda: Japan Increasingly Likely to Hit Inflation Target
- Stimulus Package Set to Drive Greater Govt Borrowing; Likely Effectiveness Called into Question
- Food, Beverage Price Hikes Show Signs of Easing; Fuel Prices, Consumer Frugality Slowing Down Price Rises
- Japan 2023 Food Exports Reach 1 Tril. Yen at Record Pace