- TRAVEL SPOTS
Japan Boat Tour Reveals Glowing Mystery of Firefly Squid
6:00 JST, April 5, 2023
TOYAMA — The “mystery of Toyama Bay” stems from its bluish-white glow. To find out what causes this luminescence, the Firefly Squid Boat Tour takes visitors on predawn cruises for a limited time each year.
The tour began seasonal operations Saturday with 70 tourists. At around 2:30 a.m., two sightseeing boats carrying the tourists trailed fishing vessels that had departed from Namerikawa Fishing Port. The boats headed about 1.5 kilometers offshore to observe firefly squid fishing at close range.
The fishermen lifted their nets to reveal the mystery. The firefly squid caught in the nets glowed a fantastic blue and white, stirring the tourists into a round of applause.
“I was surprised at how furious the firefly squid moved,” said a 7-year-old from Chiba who took part in the tour with his family. “The blue glow was beautiful.”
The cruise continues through May 7.
"FEATURES" POPULAR ARTICLE
Autumn in Full Swing in Kyoto
Korea Craze in Japan Unlikely to End Anytime Soon; Shin-Okubo is a Hub of Korean Pop Culture, Food
Kintetsu Dept Store, Fujiya Open New Pekolicious Sweets Shop in Osaka
Nagasaki: Mom, Young Daughter Help Keep Mask-changing Chinese Art Alive
Illuminations Brighten Up Events, Buildings and Roadside Trees in Central Tokyo
JN ACCESS RANKING
- BOJ Ueda: Japan Increasingly Likely to Hit Inflation Target
- Exports of Nishikigoi Carp to China Halted; Permits for Japanese Aquaculture Facilities By China Have Expired
- Japan April-Sept. Current Account Surplus Hits Record High
- Food, Beverage Price Hikes Show Signs of Easing; Fuel Prices, Consumer Frugality Slowing Down Price Rises
- Japan 2023 Food Exports Reach 1 Tril. Yen at Record Pace