- TRAVEL SPOTS
Steam Locomotive Train Returns to Service North of Tokyo
16:27 JST, March 5, 2023
MOKA, Tochigi — The SL Moka steam locomotive is back in service in Tochigi Prefecture.
The Moka Railway train resumed regular operations Saturday after undergoing scheduled maintenance from Jan. 16.
The SL Moka will run every weekend and during the Golden Week holidays from the end of April through early May.
The weather Saturday was sunny and warm as about 20 amateur photographers waited for the SL Moka from a spot beside a curve near Tatara Station in Ichikai, Tochigi Prefecture. The dark gray smoke from the locomotive set against the blue sky made for striking photos.
“I was excited as I haven’t taken photos of an SL in a long time,” said a man in his 80s from Utsunomiya who said he has taken steam locomotive photos for many years. “The smoke was superb.”
"FEATURES" POPULAR ARTICLE
Autumn in Full Swing in Kyoto
Millennium-Old Traditional ‘Naked Festival’ to Be Held for Last Time Next February at Iwate Pref. Temple
Old Tokyo Building Becomes a Hub for Various Regions in Japan
Onigiri Rice Balls Increasingly Popular Worldwide due to Taste, Healthfulness
New Tour in Japan Featuring Kumano Kodo, Hot Springs Targets Foreign Tourists
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Japan’s Economy Contracts as Demand Wanes
- Japan Sees 2.52 Mil. Visitors in October, Exceeding Pre-COVID Levels
- Sardines and Mackerels Blanket Beach in Hokkaido; Local Fishermen ‘Never Seen This Many’
- Haneda Airport to Showcase Japan’s Master Craftsmanship to World with Luxury Store
- Tsunami observed in Japanese coast after the earthquake near Philippines (UPDATE2)