- TRAVEL SPOTS
Hokkaido Ice Hotel Reopens for Brief Winter Run
13:50 JST, January 21, 2023
SAPPORO — Hoshino Resorts has opened the doors of its Ice Hotel for the season in Shimukappu, Hokkaido.
The Ice Hotel stands inside the Hoshino Resorts Tomamu Ice Village, which features a number of attractions made of ice and snow, and started receiving guests on Friday.
A snow and ice dome 8.5 meters in diameter and 3.5 meters high caps the hotel, and the interior is furnished with chairs, tables and a bed, all made of ice.
Although outdoor temperatures in the area reach as low as minus 30 C, the temperature inside the hotel is about minus 3 C. Visitors can sleep comfortably inside winter sleeping bags, according to the hotel.
“We hope visitors will enjoy the magical world within the accommodation, which could only ever exist in such a frigid region,” the hotel’s general manager said.
The hotel will be open through Feb. 28, and reservations can be made through the resort’s website.
"FEATURES" POPULAR ARTICLE
Autumn in Full Swing in Kyoto
Kintetsu Dept Store, Fujiya Open New Pekolicious Sweets Shop in Osaka
Nagasaki: Mom, Young Daughter Help Keep Mask-changing Chinese Art Alive
Illuminations Brighten Up Events, Buildings and Roadside Trees in Central Tokyo
My Wife Hasn’t Bathed for 2½ Years, Claiming It’s ‘Bothersome’
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Exports of Nishikigoi Carp to China Halted; Permits for Japanese Aquaculture Facilities By China Have Expired
- Japan April-Sept. Current Account Surplus Hits Record High
- Food, Beverage Price Hikes Show Signs of Easing; Fuel Prices, Consumer Frugality Slowing Down Price Rises
- Japan 2023 Food Exports Reach 1 Tril. Yen at Record Pace
- 69.7 Bil. Yen in COVID-19 Loans to Small Businesses Uncollectible