- TRAVEL SPOTS
Hokkaido: Glittering corridor of lights cheer tourists
15:48 JST, November 19, 2022
TOYAKO, Hokkaido – Tourists arriving at Toyako Onsen in Hokkaido are enjoying the warm welcome of an illuminated tunnel at the Nigiwai Hiroba space in the center of the hot springs resort, with twinkling green, blue, pink and other bulbs adding to the delight.
This annual winter tradition started in 2007, the year before the Group of Eight Hokkaido Toyako Summit was held, to commemorate the gathering. The Toyako Onsen Tourist Association sponsors the event.
The 70-meter-long, 5-meter-wide tunnel is decorated with approximately 400,000 light bulbs. In the middle of the S-shaped tunnel, there is a photo spot with a dome 10 meters in diameter, where the 3-D letters “TOYA” seem to float in the air. Tourists can pose for photos while enjoying the glittering world of light.
The welcoming event will be held every day from 5 to 10 p.m. through March 31, and from 6 p.m. in March. Admission is free.
"FEATURES" POPULAR ARTICLE
Autumn in Full Swing in Kyoto
Korea Craze in Japan Unlikely to End Anytime Soon; Shin-Okubo is a Hub of Korean Pop Culture, Food
Kintetsu Dept Store, Fujiya Open New Pekolicious Sweets Shop in Osaka
Nagasaki: Mom, Young Daughter Help Keep Mask-changing Chinese Art Alive
Illuminations Brighten Up Events, Buildings and Roadside Trees in Central Tokyo
JN ACCESS RANKING
- BOJ Ueda: Japan Increasingly Likely to Hit Inflation Target
- Exports of Nishikigoi Carp to China Halted; Permits for Japanese Aquaculture Facilities By China Have Expired
- Japan April-Sept. Current Account Surplus Hits Record High
- Food, Beverage Price Hikes Show Signs of Easing; Fuel Prices, Consumer Frugality Slowing Down Price Rises
- Japan 2023 Food Exports Reach 1 Tril. Yen at Record Pace