Tohoku : Experience a dawn unlike any other at the Kamiwarizaki in Miyagi Prefecture
15:43 JST, June 2, 2022
A phenomenon that is best observed over a span of one to two weeks in February and October each year, the morning sun peeks through a three-meter-wide space between cliffs separating the town of Minami-Sanriku and Ishinomaki City, Miyagi Prefecture. The scenic spot “Kamiwarizaki” (cape divided by the gods) was said to take its name from a legend.
In the Edo period (1603-1867), two villages fought over ownership of the land. Suddenly, a huge cliff was split in half in a great rumbling of the earth. The villagers believed that the creation of the cliff was the gods’ way of deciding the borders.
Location: The town of Minami-Sanriku and Ishinomaki City, Miyagi Prefecture
"FEATURES" POPULAR ARTICLE
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Japan, Finland confirm unity in dealing with Russia
- Mangaka Fujiko Fujio A dies at 88
- China’s aircraft carrier drills near Japan aimed at around-the-clock attack capability
- As wheat prices soar, Japanese food industry pushes rice flour as alternative
- Fukushima lab releases images of ‘highly likely’ UFOs