Japan Forward Kaoru Mitoma Is a Major Doubt for Next Month’s Asian Cup Due to Ankle Injury
11:19 JST, December 28, 2023
BRIGHTON, England (AP) — Japan forward Kaoru Mitoma is a major doubt for next month’s Asian Cup after sustaining an ankle injury with his English Premier League club Brighton.
Tomorrow we have more or less 10 injured players, maybe eight, but (the other) two players can’t start the game, Brighton manager Roberto De Zerbi said on the eve of his team’s home match with Tottenham on Thursday.
Mitoma is one of them. We’ve lost Kaoru for around six weeks.
The 26-year-old Mitoma, a fast and skilful player, suffered his injury in Brighton’s 1-1 draw against Crystal Palace last Thursday.
The Asian Cup, to be played in Qatar, begins on Jan. 12 and four-time winner Japan has been drawn in Group D with Indonesia, Iraq and Vietnam.
Japan launches its campaign against Vietnam in Doha on Jan. 14.
"Sports" POPULAR ARTICLE
Shohei Ohtani Gets Married, He Says on His Official Instagram Account (Update 2)
Sumo: Former Ozeki Tochinoshin Retires with Ceremonial Snip of His Top-knot
Kotonowaka Takes on First Duty as Ozeki in Setsubun Ceremony; Event Took Place at Tsubaki Shrine in Mie Prefecture
Ex-yokozuna Hakuho to Face Demotion in JSA over Violence by Stable’s Wrestler
Kiyoto Hirabayashi of Kokugakuin University Wins Osaka Marathon V; Does Not Break Qualifying Time for Paris Olympics
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Current Account Surplus Doubles in ’23
- Japan Real Wages Fall at Steepest Pace in 9 Years in 2023
- Pressure Mounting for Wage Increases in Shunto Negotiations; Fears about the Response of Struggling SMEs
- North Korean Workers in China Riot over Unpaid Wages; 2,000 Occupy Factory, Kill Plant Manager
- JCG Captain Mistook ‘No. 1’ Position for Permission to Take off Prior to Haneda Accident; Voice Recorders Being Analyzed