- SOCCER WORLD CUP
Samurai Blue begin final prepping for opening match
16:56 JST, November 22, 2022
DOHA — The Japan national team practiced behind closed doors on Monday as it begins final preparations for its opening World Cup Group E match against four-time champion Germany on Wednesday.
Midfielder Hidemasa Morita, who has been recovering from a left calf injury, participated in a full session the first time since joining the team from Europe, where he plays for Sporting Lisbon.
Japan, which is aiming to advance to the knockout stage for the second consecutive tournament, will face Costa Rica in its second match on Sunday before concluding group play against Spain on Dec. 1.
Wednesday’s match against Germany kicks off at 4 p.m. (10 p.m. Japan time).
"SPORTS" POPULAR ARTICLE
Japanese Skater Yuzuru Hanyu Announces Divorce
Sumo in Crisis as Dwindling Number of Wrestlers Forces Body to Knock Over Tradition
Shohei Ohtani, Baseball’s 2-Way Star, Becomes First 2-Time Unanimous MVP (UPDATE 1)
The Sumo Scene / Top-ranked Referee Shikimori Inosuke Also Earns Elite Status in Name
The Sumo Scene / Grand Sumo Tournament Wrestlers Find Power in Local Food; Powerful Wrestler Chiyonofuji Remembered
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Japan’s Economy Contracts as Demand Wanes
- AI-generated Child Porn Floods Japan-based Website (Update 1)
- Bears Sighted in Tokyo Suburbs, Including near Mt. Takao (Update 1)
- Tokyo Dips below 10 C; Temperatures Fall in Japan
- Sardines and Mackerels Blanket Beach in Hokkaido; Local Fishermen ‘Never Seen This Many’