Actress Aki Takejo dies at 75
18:00 JST, December 21, 2022
Actress Aki Takejo, who gained popularity for the friendly way she spoke in her distinct Yamagata dialect, died on Dec. 15. She was 75.
Takejo had been battling cancer of the large intestine for about two years. Her funeral took place with close relatives in attendance.
Takejo, whose real name was Akiko Takeda, was born in Yamagata Prefecture. She appeared in a long list of films, including “Narayamabushiko” (“The Ballad of Narayama”) and the “Otoko wa Tsuraiyo” (It’s tough being a man) series, as well as many TV dramas, often as a supporting character with great charm.
Her cheerful personality also made her much loved on TV variety shows such as “Himitsu no Kenmin Show” (The show of prefectural folks) and “Hono no Taiikukai TV” (Fiery sports day TV).
"SOCIETY" POPULAR ARTICLE
AI-generated Child Porn Floods Japan-based Website (Update 1)
Bears Sighted in Tokyo Suburbs, Including near Mt. Takao (Update 1)
Tokyo Dips below 10 C; Temperatures Fall in Japan
Junko Ohashi, singer of ‘Silhouette Romance,’ dies at 73
X Japan Bassist Heath Dies at 55; Yoshiki Thought to Have Returned to Japan for Him
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Japan, Vietnam Trade Ministers Discuss Supply Chains, IPEF
- BOJ Ueda: Japan Increasingly Likely to Hit Inflation Target
- Stimulus Package Set to Drive Greater Govt Borrowing; Likely Effectiveness Called into Question
- Food, Beverage Price Hikes Show Signs of Easing; Fuel Prices, Consumer Frugality Slowing Down Price Rises
- Japan 2023 Food Exports Reach 1 Tril. Yen at Record Pace