- GENERAL NEWS
Victims Mourned 9 Years after Deadly Landslides in Hiroshima
16:57 JST, August 20, 2023
HIROSHIMA (Jiji Press) — A ceremony was held in Hiroshima on Saturday to mourn for the 77 people who died in massive landslides caused by heavy rain nine years ago.
Participants to the ceremony, held in the Yagi district in Asa-Minami Ward, which was hit especially hard by the Aug. 20, 2014, disaster, offered silent prayers for the victims.
“We’ve deepened our bonds and helped each other to move forward,” local community leader Heikichi Muraoka said in a speech at the ceremony, organized by local residents.
Hiroshima Mayor Kazumi Matsui said in a speech, “We’ll learn precious lessons from the disaster and work hard to create a place where everyone can live in safety and peace.”
"SOCIETY" POPULAR ARTICLE
AI-generated Child Porn Floods Japan-based Website (Update 1)
Bears Sighted in Tokyo Suburbs, Including near Mt. Takao (Update 1)
Tokyo Dips below 10 C; Temperatures Fall in Japan
Junko Ohashi, singer of ‘Silhouette Romance,’ dies at 73
X Japan Bassist Heath Dies at 55; Yoshiki Thought to Have Returned to Japan for Him
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Exports of Nishikigoi Carp to China Halted; Permits for Japanese Aquaculture Facilities By China Have Expired
- Japan April-Sept. Current Account Surplus Hits Record High
- 69.7 Bil. Yen in COVID-19 Loans to Small Businesses Uncollectible
- AI-generated Child Porn Floods Japan-based Website (Update 1)
- Bears Sighted in Tokyo Suburbs, Including near Mt. Takao (Update 1)