- GENERAL NEWS
Strong quake jolts southwestern Japan
8:07 JST, October 2, 2022
TOKYO (Jiji Press) — A strong earthquake struck southwestern Japan early Sunday.
The temblor, which had an estimated magnitude of 5.8, occurred at a depth of about 30 kilometers off the Osumi Peninsula in the Kyushu region around 12:02 a.m..
It registered lower 5, the fifth-highest level on Japan’s seismic intensity scale, in the city of Nichinan in Miyazaki Prefecture, part of Kyushu, and 4 in the city of Miyazaki, the prefecture’s capital, and the cities of Kushima and Miyakonojo in the same prefecture, according to the Japan Meteorological Agency.
The quake is unlikely to cause tsunami, the agency said.
"SOCIETY" POPULAR ARTICLE
AI-generated Child Porn Floods Japan-based Website (Update 1)
Bears Sighted in Tokyo Suburbs, Including near Mt. Takao (Update 1)
Tokyo Dips below 10 C; Temperatures Fall in Japan
Junko Ohashi, singer of ‘Silhouette Romance,’ dies at 73
Tsunami observed in Japanese coast after the earthquake near Philippines (UPDATE2)
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Exports of Nishikigoi Carp to China Halted; Permits for Japanese Aquaculture Facilities By China Have Expired
- Japan April-Sept. Current Account Surplus Hits Record High
- Japan’s Economy Contracts as Demand Wanes
- AI-generated Child Porn Floods Japan-based Website (Update 1)
- BOJ Member Sought Tweak in Easing