- GENERAL NEWS
Architect Ban wins Spanish award
18:09 JST, June 24, 2022
PARIS (Jiji Press) — Architect Shigeru Ban, 64, has been named the winner of the 2022 Princess of Asturias Award for Concord, Spain’s Princess of Asturias Foundation said Thursday.
The foundation recognized his work to design innovative shelters and temporary housing for evacuees displaced by natural disasters and armed conflicts.
Ban developed shelters where privacy can be better protected than in existing ones. In 1995, he became adviser to the U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees and created a nongovernmental organization in the hope of transforming the concept of temporary accommodations for emergency situations.
Temporary accommodations adopting his designs were built for Rwandan refugees fleeing the 1994 massacre, evacuees affected by the 1995 Hanshin-Awaji earthquake in western Japan and Ukrainians displaced by Russia’s ongoing aggression.
"SOCIETY" POPULAR ARTICLE
AI-generated Child Porn Floods Japan-based Website (Update 1)
Bears Sighted in Tokyo Suburbs, Including near Mt. Takao (Update 1)
Tokyo Dips below 10 C; Temperatures Fall in Japan
Junko Ohashi, singer of ‘Silhouette Romance,’ dies at 73
X Japan Bassist Heath Dies at 55; Yoshiki Thought to Have Returned to Japan for Him
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Japan, Vietnam Trade Ministers Discuss Supply Chains, IPEF
- BOJ Ueda: Japan Increasingly Likely to Hit Inflation Target
- Stimulus Package Set to Drive Greater Govt Borrowing; Likely Effectiveness Called into Question
- Food, Beverage Price Hikes Show Signs of Easing; Fuel Prices, Consumer Frugality Slowing Down Price Rises
- Japan 2023 Food Exports Reach 1 Tril. Yen at Record Pace