Kishida tests positive for novel coronavirus
18:00 JST, August 21, 2022
Prime Minister Fumio Kishida has tested positive for the novel coronavirus, the government said Sunday.
Kishida will likely cancel his trip to Tunisia, where he was scheduled to attend the Tokyo International Conference on African Development (TICAD) on Aug. 27-28.
The prime minister had shown symptoms such as a slight fever and coughing since Saturday evening. He underwent a PCR test Sunday morning and was confirmed to have contracted the virus.
Kishida was on a summer holiday from the evening of Aug. 15, during which he played golf in Ibaraki Prefecture and stayed at a hotel in Shizuoka Prefecture, among other outings. He returned to Tokyo on Friday afternoon.
"SOCIETY" POPULAR ARTICLE
AI-generated Child Porn Floods Japan-based Website (Update 1)
Bears Sighted in Tokyo Suburbs, Including near Mt. Takao (Update 1)
Tokyo Dips below 10 C; Temperatures Fall in Japan
Junko Ohashi, singer of ‘Silhouette Romance,’ dies at 73
X Japan Bassist Heath Dies at 55; Yoshiki Thought to Have Returned to Japan for Him
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Exports of Nishikigoi Carp to China Halted; Permits for Japanese Aquaculture Facilities By China Have Expired
- Japan April-Sept. Current Account Surplus Hits Record High
- Food, Beverage Price Hikes Show Signs of Easing; Fuel Prices, Consumer Frugality Slowing Down Price Rises
- Japan 2023 Food Exports Reach 1 Tril. Yen at Record Pace
- 69.7 Bil. Yen in COVID-19 Loans to Small Businesses Uncollectible