Record-high 209,000 new coronavirus cases tallied in Japan
18:45 JST, July 27, 2022
On Wednesday, the number of new cases of novel coronavirus infection exceeded 209,000 nationwide, a record high for one day, according to a Yomiuri Shimbun tally.
Tokyo on Wednesday confirmed a total of 29,036 new cases, the metropolitan government said. The figure is the eighth straight day of Tokyo numbers above the 20,000 line and about 40% higher than the same day a week earlier, when 20,401 new cases were posted, but a slight decline from 31,593 cases on Tuesday.
According to the metropolitan government, the number of hospitalized COVID-19 patients stood at 3,555 on Wednesday, with the occupancy rate of hospital beds designated for COVID-19 patients reaching 50.5%.
Meanwhile, in Osaka Prefecture, 21,860 new cases were confirmed on Wednesday, down by 116 from a week earlier. The prefectural government reported 14 deaths from COVID-19 on the day.
"SOCIETY" POPULAR ARTICLE
AI-generated Child Porn Floods Japan-based Website (Update 1)
Bears Sighted in Tokyo Suburbs, Including near Mt. Takao (Update 1)
Tokyo Dips below 10 C; Temperatures Fall in Japan
Junko Ohashi, singer of ‘Silhouette Romance,’ dies at 73
Tsunami observed in Japanese coast after the earthquake near Philippines (UPDATE2)
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Exports of Nishikigoi Carp to China Halted; Permits for Japanese Aquaculture Facilities By China Have Expired
- Japan April-Sept. Current Account Surplus Hits Record High
- AI-generated Child Porn Floods Japan-based Website (Update 1)
- BOJ Member Sought Tweak in Easing
- Bears Sighted in Tokyo Suburbs, Including near Mt. Takao (Update 1)