Tokyo logs over 20,000 new coronavirus cases
18:53 JST, February 2, 2022
Tokyo confirmed 21,576 new cases of infection with the novel coronavirus on Wednesday, with the tally topping 20,000 for the first time, marking a record high for the first time in five days.
The nationwide figure topped 90,000 for the first time on the day, according to a Yomiuri Shimbun tally.
Meanwhile, Osaka Prefecture logged 11,171 cases, surpassing 10,000 for the second day in a row, and Aichi Prefecture confirmed 6,191 new cases, marking a record for the second consecutive day.
Hyogo Prefecture also logged a record daily tally for the second day in a row, with 5,913 new cases, topping 5,000 for the first time.
The Fukuoka prefectural government said newly confirmed cases are expected to surpass 5,000 for the first time.
"SOCIETY" POPULAR ARTICLE
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Japan, Finland confirm unity in dealing with Russia
- Mangaka Fujiko Fujio A dies at 88
- China’s aircraft carrier drills near Japan aimed at around-the-clock attack capability
- As wheat prices soar, Japanese food industry pushes rice flour as alternative
- Fukushima lab releases images of ‘highly likely’ UFOs