Case tally tops 70,000 nationwide
20:00 JST, January 26, 2022
The daily national total of new novel coronavirus infections hit a record high on Wednesday, with the day’s figure exceeding 70,000, according to data being compiled by The Yomiuri Shimbun.
Among prefectures that saw their own record highs on Wednesday, the Tokyo metropolitan government reported 14,086 new cases, rewriting its previous high of 12,813 new cases, set on Tuesday.
Osaka Prefecture confirmed 9,813 cases on Wednesday, up from 8,612 on Tuesday and a record high for the second day in a row.
Aichi Prefecture also saw a record-high tally for a second consecutive day, at 4,663 new cases, while Fukuoka Prefecture reported 3,615 new cases, the highest ever for the prefecture.
"SOCIETY" POPULAR ARTICLE
Sardines and Mackerels Blanket Beach in Hokkaido; Local Fishermen ‘Never Seen This Many’
Tsunami observed in Japanese coast after the earthquake near Philippines (UPDATE2)
Japan Child Porn Websites Draw Overseas Users; Experts Seek Measures as Operators Defiant
Earthquake hits Aomori, Iwate on Monday Morning; Seismic Intensity 4 in Aomori City
The Former Vocalist for Thee Michelle Gun Elephant Yusuke Chiba Died at the Age of 55(UPDATE 1)
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Japan’s Economy Contracts as Demand Wanes
- Japan Sees 2.52 Mil. Visitors in October, Exceeding Pre-COVID Levels
- Sardines and Mackerels Blanket Beach in Hokkaido; Local Fishermen ‘Never Seen This Many’
- Tsunami observed in Japanese coast after the earthquake near Philippines (UPDATE2)
- Autumn in Full Swing in Kyoto