New infections in Tokyo top 3,000
17:36 JST, January 13, 2022
Tokyo confirmed 3,124 new cases of infection with the novel coronavirus on Thursday, exceeding 3,000 for the first time since Sept. 2.
The daily tally in the capital was up 2,483 from a week earlier.
Earlier in the day, the Tokyo metropolitan government held a meeting on the coronavirus situation and decided to raise the alert level regarding infections in the capital to the second-most serious stage out of four. The medical care system is now deemed to be at the third-most serious level.
Okinawa Prefecture reached a new daily high with 1,817 new cases on Thursday.
The daily count in the prefecture topped the previous record of 1,759 logged on Saturday. U.S. military bases in the prefecture also confirmed an all-time high of 560 new coronavirus cases on Thursday.
"SOCIETY" POPULAR ARTICLE
Sardines and Mackerels Blanket Beach in Hokkaido; Local Fishermen ‘Never Seen This Many’
Tsunami observed in Japanese coast after the earthquake near Philippines (UPDATE2)
Japan Child Porn Websites Draw Overseas Users; Experts Seek Measures as Operators Defiant
Earthquake hits Aomori, Iwate on Monday Morning; Seismic Intensity 4 in Aomori City
Coldest Morning of Season Hits Japan; Tokyo Almost 20 C Colder than Previous Week
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Japan’s Economy Contracts as Demand Wanes
- Sardines and Mackerels Blanket Beach in Hokkaido; Local Fishermen ‘Never Seen This Many’
- Tsunami observed in Japanese coast after the earthquake near Philippines (UPDATE2)
- Autumn in Full Swing in Kyoto
- Japan Railway Operators Eye Net-zero CO2 Emissions Via Hydrogen Fuel Cell Trains