Over 6,000 new novel coronavirus cases confirmed in Japan
19:54 JST, January 7, 2022
The total number of new novel coronavirus cases in Japan exceeded 6,000 on Friday, for the first time since Sept. 15 last year, according to The Yomiuri Shimbun’s tally.
Okinawa Prefecture logged 1,414 cases on Friday, much higher than the 981 logged on Thursday, the previous record daily count for the prefecture.
Hiroshima Prefecture confirmed 429 new cases on Friday, exceeding 381, the record number seen on Aug. 21 last year. Yamaguchi Prefecture confirmed 180, the second-highest number after the previous day saw a record 181.
Tokyo confirmed 922 new coronavirus cases Friday. This is the first time since Sept. 15 that the daily number of cases in Tokyo has exceeded 900. At that time, the number was 1,058.
"SOCIETY" POPULAR ARTICLE
AI-generated Child Porn Floods Japan-based Website (Update 1)
Bears Sighted in Tokyo Suburbs, Including near Mt. Takao (Update 1)
Tokyo Dips below 10 C; Temperatures Fall in Japan
Junko Ohashi, singer of ‘Silhouette Romance,’ dies at 73
X Japan Bassist Heath Dies at 55; Yoshiki Thought to Have Returned to Japan for Him
JN ACCESS RANKING
- BOJ Ueda: Japan Increasingly Likely to Hit Inflation Target
- Exports of Nishikigoi Carp to China Halted; Permits for Japanese Aquaculture Facilities By China Have Expired
- Japan April-Sept. Current Account Surplus Hits Record High
- Food, Beverage Price Hikes Show Signs of Easing; Fuel Prices, Consumer Frugality Slowing Down Price Rises
- Japan 2023 Food Exports Reach 1 Tril. Yen at Record Pace