- TRAVEL SPOTS
Japan Children Scoop Up Ceramic Goldfish in Aichi Pref. Town
13:21 JST, August 17, 2023
SETO, Aichi — An event for children to scoop up floating ceramic goldfish is underway at a municipal facility in Seto, Aichi Prefecture, a city known for its ceramics.
Such goldfish were first produced in the city during the Meiji era (1868-1912) and became popular as bath toys but gradually disappeared in the early Showa era (1926-89).
The Novelty Children’s Creative Center, a local government facility where visitors can try their hand at ceramics, decided to bring back the bath toy about 20 years ago. The facility has been holding goldfish scooping events every summer since then.
Children seemed excited to scoop up 5-centimeter-long, brightly colored goldfish.
“We want people to know the beauty of these floating ceramic goldfish, which are a specialty of Seto,” said Eiji Nakamura, the head of the facility.
"FEATURES" POPULAR ARTICLE
Autumn in Full Swing in Kyoto
Kintetsu Dept Store, Fujiya Open New Pekolicious Sweets Shop in Osaka
Nagasaki: Mom, Young Daughter Help Keep Mask-changing Chinese Art Alive
Illuminations Brighten Up Events, Buildings and Roadside Trees in Central Tokyo
My Wife Hasn’t Bathed for 2½ Years, Claiming It’s ‘Bothersome’
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Exports of Nishikigoi Carp to China Halted; Permits for Japanese Aquaculture Facilities By China Have Expired
- Japan April-Sept. Current Account Surplus Hits Record High
- Japan 2023 Food Exports Reach 1 Tril. Yen at Record Pace
- 69.7 Bil. Yen in COVID-19 Loans to Small Businesses Uncollectible
- AI-generated Child Porn Floods Japan-based Website (Update 1)