- TRAVEL SPOTS
Okayama Castle reopens after major renovations
13:05 JST, November 26, 2022
OKAYAMA — Okayama Castle reopened on Nov. 3 after extensive renovations.
The castle was built in 1597. The black exterior of the tower keep led it to be dubbed “Crow Castle.”
A 1945 air raid on Okayama City, however, destroyed most of the structure including the tower. The castle tower was rebuilt with reinforced concrete in 1966.
In the latest major renovation, which began in June last year, the Okayama city government focused on seismic reinforcement of the tower and renewing its exhibits.
The entrance to the castle tower is in the basement, from which level visitors take an elevator up to the sixth floor. They then proceed down the stairs to view the themed exhibits on each floor.
There is also projection mapping on the first and fifth floors to help visitors learn about the castle.
"FEATURES" POPULAR ARTICLE
Autumn in Full Swing in Kyoto
Millennium-Old Traditional ‘Naked Festival’ to Be Held for Last Time Next February at Iwate Pref. Temple
Nagasaki: Mom, Young Daughter Help Keep Mask-changing Chinese Art Alive
Kintetsu Dept Store, Fujiya Open New Pekolicious Sweets Shop in Osaka
Old Tokyo Building Becomes a Hub for Various Regions in Japan
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Japan’s Economy Contracts as Demand Wanes
- AI-generated Child Porn Floods Japan-based Website (Update 1)
- Bears Sighted in Tokyo Suburbs, Including near Mt. Takao (Update 1)
- Sardines and Mackerels Blanket Beach in Hokkaido; Local Fishermen ‘Never Seen This Many’
- Tsunami observed in Japanese coast after the earthquake near Philippines (UPDATE2)