- TRAVEL SPOTS
Kagoshima: Fans flock to JR’s southmost station
13:48 JST, August 13, 2022
IBUSUKI, Kagoshima — Train fans nationwide come to see an unmanned station in Kagoshima Prefecture with its single platform and simple roof.
Nishi-Oyama Station, on the JR Ibusuki-Makurazaki Line connecting Kagoshima-Chuo and Makurazaki stations, is located at 31 degrees 11 minutes north latitude and has a sign that reads, “Southernmost JR station.” It was the southernmost station in Japan until the Okinawa Urban Monorail, or Yui Rail, opened in 2003.
Nishi-Oyama Station is about 1 hour and 50 minutes by train from Kagoshima City.
The northernmost station in Japan is Wakkanai Station in Hokkaido, which is about 3,000 kilometers from the southernmost JR station.
"FEATURES" POPULAR ARTICLE
Autumn in Full Swing in Kyoto
Korea Craze in Japan Unlikely to End Anytime Soon; Shin-Okubo is a Hub of Korean Pop Culture, Food
Kintetsu Dept Store, Fujiya Open New Pekolicious Sweets Shop in Osaka
Nagasaki: Mom, Young Daughter Help Keep Mask-changing Chinese Art Alive
Illuminations Brighten Up Events, Buildings and Roadside Trees in Central Tokyo
JN ACCESS RANKING
- BOJ Ueda: Japan Increasingly Likely to Hit Inflation Target
- Exports of Nishikigoi Carp to China Halted; Permits for Japanese Aquaculture Facilities By China Have Expired
- Japan April-Sept. Current Account Surplus Hits Record High
- Food, Beverage Price Hikes Show Signs of Easing; Fuel Prices, Consumer Frugality Slowing Down Price Rises
- Japan 2023 Food Exports Reach 1 Tril. Yen at Record Pace