- JAPAN IN FOCUS
‘Magical’ Lantern Festival Held in Sapporo; LED Lights and Helium Filled Lanterns
16:38 JST, October 4, 2023
SAPPORO — Approximately 800 lanterns made of washi Japanese paper floated up into the night sky at Sapporo Lantern Fes. 2023, held Sept. 16 at Nakajima Park in Chuo Ward, Sapporo.
The festival, an annual event that started last year, also featured a production that paired laser beams with elegant Disney songs.
Event participants wrote their wishes on strips of paper and tied them to the lanterns filled with helium and LED lights, and shouted “Let’s fly” upon releasing them, drawing cheers from the crowd.
“It was magical and beautiful seeing so many lanterns in person,” said Natsuno Mizoguchi, 26, of Shiroishi Ward, Sapporo, who attended the event with her mother and two children.
"FEATURES" POPULAR ARTICLE
Autumn in Full Swing in Kyoto
Millennium-Old Traditional ‘Naked Festival’ to Be Held for Last Time Next February at Iwate Pref. Temple
Nagasaki: Mom, Young Daughter Help Keep Mask-changing Chinese Art Alive
Kintetsu Dept Store, Fujiya Open New Pekolicious Sweets Shop in Osaka
Old Tokyo Building Becomes a Hub for Various Regions in Japan
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Japan’s Economy Contracts as Demand Wanes
- AI-generated Child Porn Floods Japan-based Website (Update 1)
- Bears Sighted in Tokyo Suburbs, Including near Mt. Takao (Update 1)
- Tokyo Dips below 10 C; Temperatures Fall in Japan
- Sardines and Mackerels Blanket Beach in Hokkaido; Local Fishermen ‘Never Seen This Many’