- JAPAN IN FOCUS
Osaka: Mirrors Set Up in Smoking Area to Improve Manners
14:12 JST, February 4, 2023
OSAKA — A smoking space surrounded by about 50 mirrored pillars has been set up at Umekita Sotoniwa Square on the north side of JR Osaka Station in Osaka City.
The inside is lined with mirrors as well, so smokers can see themselves smoking, and it is hoped this will spur them to improve their manners.
In addition, light is reflected off the mirrors and the inside of the smoking space cannot be seen. The design makes the smoking space harmonious with its surroundings.
Naohiro Matsumura, a professor at Osaka University who studies how devices installed throughout the city affect human behavior, came up with the idea together with Japan Tobacco Inc.
The space will be in use until around March as an experiment to examine the effects of improving manners and changing people’s image of smoking areas.
“I think if more people know there is a unique and interesting smoking space, it will attract attention and help people improve their manners,” Matsumura said.
"FEATURES" POPULAR ARTICLE
Kyoto Train Offers Passengers Journey Wrapped in Autumn Colors via Maple Tree Tunnel
Korea Craze in Japan Unlikely to End Anytime Soon; Shin-Okubo is a Hub of Korean Pop Culture, Food
Kintetsu Dept Store, Fujiya Open New Pekolicious Sweets Shop in Osaka
Nagasaki: Mom, Young Daughter Help Keep Mask-changing Chinese Art Alive
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Japan, Vietnam Trade Ministers Discuss Supply Chains, IPEF
- BOJ Ueda: Japan Increasingly Likely to Hit Inflation Target
- Stimulus Package Set to Drive Greater Govt Borrowing; Likely Effectiveness Called into Question
- Food, Beverage Price Hikes Show Signs of Easing; Fuel Prices, Consumer Frugality Slowing Down Price Rises
- Japan 2023 Food Exports Reach 1 Tril. Yen at Record Pace