- JAPAN IN FOCUS
Ehime: Pod of 30 dolphins spotted in Seto Inland Sea
12:24 JST, November 12, 2022
MATSUYAMA — A pod of about 30 dolphins was spotted by the crew of a Japan Coast Guard boat during a patrol in the waters off Ikata, Ehime Prefecture, reminiscent of a group of about 50 dolphins that had been seen swimming in the same area in May last year.
According to the Matsuyama Coast Guard Office, the Okinami patrol boat came across the dolphins at about 10 a.m. on Oct. 27, about 2 kilometers north of the Mitsukue district in Ikata. When the boat passed nearby, the dolphins repeatedly breached the surface while swimming parallel to the vessel.
The crew took photos of the scene from the deck.
“It’s rare to find such a large pod of dolphins in the Seto Inland Sea,” a member of the Matsuyama Coast Guard Office said.
"FEATURES" POPULAR ARTICLE
Autumn in Full Swing in Kyoto
Millennium-Old Traditional ‘Naked Festival’ to Be Held for Last Time Next February at Iwate Pref. Temple
Old Tokyo Building Becomes a Hub for Various Regions in Japan
Onigiri Rice Balls Increasingly Popular Worldwide due to Taste, Healthfulness
New Tour in Japan Featuring Kumano Kodo, Hot Springs Targets Foreign Tourists
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Japan’s Economy Contracts as Demand Wanes
- Japan Sees 2.52 Mil. Visitors in October, Exceeding Pre-COVID Levels
- Sardines and Mackerels Blanket Beach in Hokkaido; Local Fishermen ‘Never Seen This Many’
- Tsunami observed in Japanese coast after the earthquake near Philippines (UPDATE2)
- Autumn in Full Swing in Kyoto