- JAPAN IN FOCUS
Shimane: Friendly rematch for high school baseball teams
13:25 JST, September 10, 2022
IZUMO, Shimane — As several baseball teams were forced to withdraw from this year’s national high school championship’s regional tournaments due to the novel coronavirus, one such unlucky team was given an opportunity to compete with the team it was supposed to play against in the Shimane prefectural tournament.
Due to the infection of a team member, Izumo Business High School withdrew from the tournament, so Nima High School won by default. Having lost in the third round, Nima offered to schedule a match with Izumo Business.
The game was held on Aug. 3 in Izumo, and started at 5 p.m. to allow as many players’ parents as possible to attend. Cheerleaders also came to root for their school team. The captain of the Izumo Business team bowed to spectators to express his gratitude after the team beat Nima 20-3.
“We felt that being able to play baseball was not something to be taken for granted. I will never forget the support we received,” he said.
"FEATURES" POPULAR ARTICLE
Kyoto Train Offers Passengers Journey Wrapped in Autumn Colors via Maple Tree Tunnel
Korea Craze in Japan Unlikely to End Anytime Soon; Shin-Okubo is a Hub of Korean Pop Culture, Food
Kintetsu Dept Store, Fujiya Open New Pekolicious Sweets Shop in Osaka
Nagasaki: Mom, Young Daughter Help Keep Mask-changing Chinese Art Alive
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Japan, Vietnam Trade Ministers Discuss Supply Chains, IPEF
- BOJ Ueda: Japan Increasingly Likely to Hit Inflation Target
- Stimulus Package Set to Drive Greater Govt Borrowing; Likely Effectiveness Called into Question
- Food, Beverage Price Hikes Show Signs of Easing; Fuel Prices, Consumer Frugality Slowing Down Price Rises
- AI-generated Child Porn Floods Japan-based Website (Update 1)