- JAPAN IN FOCUS
Gifu: Ambassador’s kendo strike a mark of friendship
13:03 JST, August 27, 2022
GIFU — Lithuania’s Ambassador to Japan Aurelijus Zykas visited Gifu Prefecture and took part in kendo on Aug. 4.
The town of Yaotsu is the birthplace of Chiune Sugihara (1900-86), a Japanese diplomat stationed in Lithuania, who issued “visas for life” to Jews fleeing the Nazi persecution in Poland via Lithuania during World War II.
There is a memorial hall in the town to commemorate Sugihara, and the town government has been in contact with Lithuania for many years. Zykas said it was his seventh visit. At the town hall, he exchanged views with Mayor Masanori Kaneko and others on issues such as the Ukrainian crisis.
Prior to this, the ambassador visited a kendo hall in the nearby city of Kani, where he personally took a shinai bamboo sword and hit the opponent’s head gear.
“This was my first experience with kendo, but it felt good,” he said.
"FEATURES" POPULAR ARTICLE
Kyoto Train Offers Passengers Journey Wrapped in Autumn Colors via Maple Tree Tunnel
Autumn in Full Swing in Kyoto
Korea Craze in Japan Unlikely to End Anytime Soon; Shin-Okubo is a Hub of Korean Pop Culture, Food
Kintetsu Dept Store, Fujiya Open New Pekolicious Sweets Shop in Osaka
Nagasaki: Mom, Young Daughter Help Keep Mask-changing Chinese Art Alive
JN ACCESS RANKING
- BOJ Ueda: Japan Increasingly Likely to Hit Inflation Target
- Japan April-Sept. Current Account Surplus Hits Record High
- Food, Beverage Price Hikes Show Signs of Easing; Fuel Prices, Consumer Frugality Slowing Down Price Rises
- Japan 2023 Food Exports Reach 1 Tril. Yen at Record Pace
- 69.7 Bil. Yen in COVID-19 Loans to Small Businesses Uncollectible