Sony Music Acquires Half of Michael Jackson’s Catalog
16:07 JST, February 11, 2024
Los Angeles (Jiji Press) — Sony Music Entertainment has acquired half of the music catalog of the late pop singer Michael Jackson, the U.S. entertainment media Variety reported Friday.
The transaction is valued at around $1.2 billion, the biggest for a single music artist’s assets to date, Variety said.
Sony Music and Jackson’s estate have not made any comment so far.
In 2011, Sony reportedly acquired rock singer Bruce Springsteen’s music catalog.
"Culture" POPULAR ARTICLE
Digitized Hokusai Ukiyo-e Works Displayed in Japan’s Narita Airport; Delighting International Travelers
Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum to Introduce Online Ticket Service; Record Breaking Number of Foreign Visitors
EU Works to Find More Readers for Its New Fiction in Japan; Translators of Lesser-known Languages Face Tough Market
Wooden Bucket Craftsman Wins Top Prize at Japan Traditional Craft Revitalization Contest; Plans to Use Techniques to Create Tearoom
First-Ever Australian First Nations Film Festival in Japan to Showcase Indigenous Voices; Physical Screening in Shibuya, Online Streaming for Free in Japan
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Japan Business Delegation, Chinese Premier Li Meet; Both Sides Tout Importance of Bilateral Economic Ties
- Japan Eyes 45 B. Yen in Aid for Optical Semiconductors
- Japan Logs Trade Deficit of ¥9.29 Tril. in 2023
- Japan’s Job Availability Ratio Rises for 2nd Straight Year
- North Korean Workers in China Riot over Unpaid Wages; 2,000 Occupy Factory, Kill Plant Manager