China Celebrates Start of Lunar New Year Holiday Period; Record Breaking Number of Trips to be Made
17:54 JST, February 10, 2024
BEIJING — The Lunar New Year holiday period began in China on Saturday.
A huge lantern in the shape of a dragon, the Chinese zodiac sign for the new lunar year, was lit at a tourist spot in Beijing where restaurants line the lakeside on Friday evening, attracting many citizens and visitors celebrating the new year.
The Lunar New Year holiday period is considered the most important vacation period in China, during which many people return to their hometowns or go on a vacation.
The Chinese government said that an estimated 9 billion trips, including those by private cars, will be made during the 40 days surrounding the holiday period.
It also said the total number of passenger trips using public transportation is estimated to reach 1.8 billion during the same period, down 14% from the previous year, due to the economic downturn.
"World" POPULAR ARTICLE
North Korean Workers in China Riot over Unpaid Wages; 2,000 Occupy Factory, Kill Plant Manager
India’s EV Market Expected to Accelerate; World Automakers Vie for Market Dominance
Ukraine Hopes to Attract Japanese Automakers
Satellite Images Suggest Naval School Being Built in Mariupol; Russification of Occupied City Also Includes Housing Complexes
Meloni Touches on AI’s Potential to Wipe Out Middle Class, Pledges Support for Ukraine
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Current Account Surplus Doubles in ’23
- Business, Labor Leaders Reaffirm Vow to Raise Wages in Shunto Talks
- Japan Real Wages Fall at Steepest Pace in 9 Years in 2023
- Pressure Mounting for Wage Increases in Shunto Negotiations; Fears about the Response of Struggling SMEs
- North Korean Workers in China Riot over Unpaid Wages; 2,000 Occupy Factory, Kill Plant Manager