Japan Confirms China Continues Unilateral Gas Development
12:45 JST, December 19, 2023
TOKYO, Dec. 18 (Jiji Press) — The Japanese Maritime Self-Defense Force has spotted flames rising from a structure at a gas field that China is unilaterally developing in the East China Sea, the Foreign Ministry said Monday.
The structure is one of the 18 installed by China on the western side of the median line between Japan and China.
Hiroyuki Namazu, director-general of the ministry’s Asian and Oceanian Affairs Bureau, lodged a protest by telephone with Yang Yu, deputy minister at the Chinese Embassy in Tokyo, saying that it is extremely regrettable that the unilateral development has continued.
Namazu reiterated Japan’s call for an early resumption of negotiations on joint gas field development based on a 2008 bilateral agreement.
"World" POPULAR ARTICLE
North Korean Workers in China Riot over Unpaid Wages; 2,000 Occupy Factory, Kill Plant Manager
India’s EV Market Expected to Accelerate; World Automakers Vie for Market Dominance
Ukraine Hopes to Attract Japanese Automakers
Sweden’s Submarine Fleet Ready to Set Off in Baltic Sea to Deter Russia
Myanmar’s Pro-Democracy NUG Seeks Strategic Intl Support; Official Asks Food Aid Not be Channeled Through Junta
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Japan Eyes 45 B. Yen in Aid for Optical Semiconductors
- Business, Labor Leaders Reaffirm Vow to Raise Wages in Shunto Talks
- Japan Real Wages Fall at Steepest Pace in 9 Years in 2023
- Japan’s Job Availability Ratio Rises for 2nd Straight Year
- North Korean Workers in China Riot over Unpaid Wages; 2,000 Occupy Factory, Kill Plant Manager