Taiwan VP William Lai Arrives in San Francisco to Enhance U.S. Ties During Stopover
16:27 JST, August 17, 2023
SAN FRANCISCO — Taiwan Vice President William Lai Ching-te arrived in San Francisco on Wednesday for a U.S. stopover on his way home from a visit to Paraguay.
Lai’s stopover is also an opportunity for the presidential candidate to show his ability to strengthen ties with the United States ahead of the election scheduled for January 2024.
American Institute in Taiwan Chair Laura Rosenberger met Lai at San Francisco Airport, where it is believed they discussed issues including boosting U.S.-Taiwan ties. The U.S. government-run AIT serves and assists U.S. interests in Taiwan.
It remained unclear whether Lai would meet any U.S. Congress officials during his stopover.
"World" POPULAR ARTICLE
North Korean Workers in China Riot over Unpaid Wages; 2,000 Occupy Factory, Kill Plant Manager
India’s EV Market Expected to Accelerate; World Automakers Vie for Market Dominance
Ukraine Hopes to Attract Japanese Automakers
Satellite Images Suggest Naval School Being Built in Mariupol; Russification of Occupied City Also Includes Housing Complexes
South Korean Islanders Anxious over North’s Provocations; Surrounding Waters Shelled for Three Days in January
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Current Account Surplus Doubles in ’23
- ‘All-country’ Stock Mutual Funds Popular with NISA Investors
- Japan Real Wages Fall at Steepest Pace in 9 Years in 2023
- Pressure Mounting for Wage Increases in Shunto Negotiations; Fears about the Response of Struggling SMEs
- North Korean Workers in China Riot over Unpaid Wages; 2,000 Occupy Factory, Kill Plant Manager