Korean Defense Paper Describes Japan as Close Neighbor
15:33 JST, February 16, 2023
SEOUL (Jiji Press) — South Korea’s Defense Ministry described Japan as a close neighbor in its biennial white paper released Thursday.
Japan is a close neighbor that South Korea should build a future-oriented cooperative relationship with, the document said.
The previous 2020 edition referred to Japan as only a neighboring country.
The latest 2022 edition said the two countries share values, signaling South Korean defense authorities’ intention to deepen intelligence ties with Japan.
Relations between Japanese and South Korean defense authorities have been strained over issues including a 2018 incident in which a South Korean warship directed a fire control radar at a Maritime Self-Defense Force patrol plane.
The white paper described North Korea as an enemy.
"WORLD" POPULAR ARTICLE
Israeli Families Demand Release of Hostages of Hamas; Worried About Crossfire
New Delhi Presses Firms in Japan, South Korea to Set Up Semiconductor Firms in India
Japan-Backed Restoration of Angkor Wat Causeway Completed
Japanese, Chinese, South Korean Foreign Ministers to Work Toward Summit
Taiwan’s TPP Leader Proposes Regular Meetings with Japan, U.S.; Desires Easing of Political Confrontations with China
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Japan, Vietnam Trade Ministers Discuss Supply Chains, IPEF
- BOJ Ueda: Japan Increasingly Likely to Hit Inflation Target
- Stimulus Package Set to Drive Greater Govt Borrowing; Likely Effectiveness Called into Question
- Food, Beverage Price Hikes Show Signs of Easing; Fuel Prices, Consumer Frugality Slowing Down Price Rises
- Japan 2023 Food Exports Reach 1 Tril. Yen at Record Pace