- Noto Peninsula Earthquake
Buildings Collapse in Japan Earthquakes; 6 cases of People Buried Alive
21:13 JST, January 1, 2024
WAJIMA, Ishikawa — Many buildings collapsed on Monday in central Wajima, Ishikawa Prefecture, after strong earthquakes struck the region.
One building appeared to have collapsed from its foundation. Some people around the building were calling out to their family members to “hang on,” while waiting for rescue services.
A fire broke out nearby, burning several buildings. Smoke rose high in the air and explosions were heard.
There are six cases of people buried alive due to the collapse of buildings as a result of the earthquakes, Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshimasa Hayashi said Monday during an emergency press conference.
"Society" POPULAR ARTICLE
M4.8 Earthquake Hits Central Tokyo; No Tsunami Expected
JCG Captain Mistook ‘No. 1’ Position for Permission to Take off Prior to Haneda Accident; Voice Recorders Being Analyzed
Possibility of Warning-Level Snowfall in Tokyo’s 23 Wards; Heavy Snow Expected in Japan’s Kanto-Koshin Region (UPDATE 5)
Hepburn-Style Romaji Likely to Become Standardized
Over 10 Killer Whales Trapped Amid Drift Ice Off Coast of Hokkaido’s Shiretoko Peninsula
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Japan Business Delegation, Chinese Premier Li Meet; Both Sides Tout Importance of Bilateral Economic Ties
- Japan Eyes 45 B. Yen in Aid for Optical Semiconductors
- Japan’s Job Availability Ratio Rises for 2nd Straight Year
- North Korean Workers in China Riot over Unpaid Wages; 2,000 Occupy Factory, Kill Plant Manager
- M4.8 Earthquake Hits Central Tokyo; No Tsunami Expected