- Crime & Courts
3 People Struck by Car in Incidents at Government Buildings; Police Believe Same Driver Involved in Both Crashes (UPDATE 2)
15:34 JST, December 6, 2023
MITO — Three people were hit by a car when it plowed into an open space in front of the Hitachi city government building in Ibaraki Prefecture on Wednesday afternoon.
The car fled the scene, and about 30 minutes later at 1:30 p.m., a different car crashed into the main entrance of the Tokai municipal government building in the same prefecture. The Tokai building is about 15 kilometers southwest of the first crash site.
The driver, who is in his 50s, was taken to the hospital and was conscious. Police believe he caused both incidents.
The three victims from the Hitachi building were aged in their 20s to 40s. They were also taken to a hospital and were conscious, firefighters said.
An event was being held at the Hitachi location to display and sell artwork made by people with disabilities.
"Society" POPULAR ARTICLE
M4.8 Earthquake Hits Central Tokyo; No Tsunami Expected
JCG Captain Mistook ‘No. 1’ Position for Permission to Take off Prior to Haneda Accident; Voice Recorders Being Analyzed
Possibility of Warning-Level Snowfall in Tokyo’s 23 Wards; Heavy Snow Expected in Japan’s Kanto-Koshin Region (UPDATE 5)
Hepburn-Style Romaji Likely to Become Standardized
Over 10 Killer Whales Trapped Amid Drift Ice Off Coast of Hokkaido’s Shiretoko Peninsula
JN ACCESS RANKING
- Japan Business Delegation, Chinese Premier Li Meet; Both Sides Tout Importance of Bilateral Economic Ties
- Japan Eyes 45 B. Yen in Aid for Optical Semiconductors
- Japan’s Job Availability Ratio Rises for 2nd Straight Year
- North Korean Workers in China Riot over Unpaid Wages; 2,000 Occupy Factory, Kill Plant Manager
- M4.8 Earthquake Hits Central Tokyo; No Tsunami Expected